I’ve been seeing a lot of sick people lately, which is inspiration for this blog about how to strengthen your immune system.
I’m sure many of you have noticed something going around. I’ve seen it at work and even when I’ve been at the pool in my community. As many people know, a weak immune system leads to sickness.
I hate being sick as I’m sure all people do, which is why I have these 10 tips to help strengthen your immune system. Check them out!
- Start eating more probiotic foods: Intestinal health (your gut), is so important as it makes up 80% of your immune system. Eating foods like yogurt, kefir or kimchi even are great probiotic foods to help your gut and obviously your immune system.
- Eat good food! Make sure you get enough fruits and vegetables throughout the day in all 3 meals a day. Try to eat dark colored fruits and veggies like kale, blueberries and broccoli, as they are higher in antioxidants.
- Be sure to get enough sleep. Now this I’m bad at and am still working on. But it is so important to get lots of sleep! Lack of sleep can easily lead to colds, upper respiratory problems, and lots of other ailments. Just be sure to watch your caffeine intake and make sure you don’t have any sleep apneas.
- Try to consume more glutamine, an amino acid that your immune cells rely on. Broths are a great source of glutamine, so try it in pill form or simple eating some soup.
- Make sure you get plenty of Vitamin D. Thankfully that’s easy to get here in sunny Phoenix, but it’s not easy to get everywhere. Try spending at least 20 minutes in the sun, but some people need more than that. To help get more Vitamin D from other places than the sun, try eating egg yolks or salmon.
- Eat more mushrooms! Studies show that mushrooms are full of something called beta glucans. These beta glucans have shown to help improve your immune system and prevent infections. Eating mushrooms raw will help you strengthen your immune system best.
- Try using thieves oil. This oil is a blend of essential oils that includes cinnamon, cloves, lemon, rosemary and eucalyptus. This blend has been clinically tested and proven to be 99% effective against airborne bacteria. This study was conducted at Weber State University in 1997. You can put the oil in a spray bottle and spray your home, or rub it on your hands in after being out in public and touching tons of things. Find the recipe for thieves oil here.
- One of the most obvious ways to strengthen your immune system is to drink plenty of water. That’s about it for that. Just be careful not to drink too much water. Yes there is such a thing! This will dilute the and diminish electrolytes and other important nutrients your body needs. It’s also not good for your kidneys.
- This may sound weird, but steam and eat some oysters. They are full of zinc. Zinc is great for immune cell function. Beef and buffalo are also good sources of zinc, which is helpful if you’re like me and don’t like oysters.
- Last but not least, try cutting back or even quitting sugar to help strengthen your immune system. Refined sugar is so SO bad your health in general. If you cant do any of the above mentioned, at least quit sugar. It’ll help you in so many other ways than just strengthening your immune system.
Don’t get sick this season!! It’s an easy fix to help strengthen your immune system.
Source: Small footprint family