Have you noticed how most of the time we make things more difficult than they need to be? This goes for anything including relationships. Maybe your relationship isn’t working because you’re tying just a little too hard. Here are 10 steps to keep your relationship healthy and headed in the right direction.
1. Great and successful relationships take work (believe it or not lol!). Couples need to take risks and share what is on their minds and in their hearts whether it is good or bad. Always be honest!
2. Don’t try to change your partner. Most of the time this makes him or her more angry. The only person you can change is yourself. Hopefully, in the end, your partner will see this and try to change themselves as well for the better. If you do want changes, let your partner know so they can see exactly what you need.
3. When arguments occur, they tend to stem from our own pain or fear. Before getting angry at your partner, take a minute to think about what’s going on inside you and your head. Most of the time we aren’t upset for the reasons we think we are.
4. As easy as this sounds, it’s not, but we need to understand that men and women are VERY different. Why not take those differences and embrace and celebrate them, which will help us better understand one another. This could make things a lot more fun and peaceful.
5. Show each other the same love and honor every day, every morning. Everyday is a new day that you have to maker your relationship deeper, by recommitting to your partner. Each person wants to feel loved and respected, which always makes life easier.
6.Anger… Anger is a waste of time in life and relationships. It brings you and usually everyone around you down. It makes people selfish and distracts you from the happy and the good in life and your relationship. If you’re feeling mad or irritated with your partner, take some alone time to calm down and relax. Then, when you’re not so angry and have had time to think, talk to your partner and let them know what’s going on.
7. Get your relationship “tuned up,” every so often. You can talk to counselors, read relationship books, etc. You may not think you need this, but sometimes these can inspire new ideas for your relationship. This also tends to help strengthen the connection in your relationship.
8. Make sure your partner is your best friend. This may sound cheesy, but most great relationships are built off of friendships in the beginning. It’s never too late though! You should always be comfortable telling your significant other anything. It makes you so much closer. This usually is the best time together for most couples.
9. Make sure you are in charge of your own happiness. NO ONE ELSE IS! No matter what you feel. If you want to blame your partner for something, look at yourself first and try to find what’s making you unhappy.
10. The usual saying “treat others the way you want to be treated.” If you want something, make sure you give something in returned. If you want to be listened to, make sure you’re always there to listen to your partner. And of course if you want more love, try giving more love in return. It’s a simple concept and it works.
Obviously there are no promises or guarantees that this works, but couples who do this tend to have a stronger, longer lasting relationship. And who knows, if you try all these and it doesn’t work, then maybe it’s time to see the light and help you move on. Be proactive in your love!