I’ve been trying really hard to eat healthy. Unfortunately I don’t have too many healthy recipes. I just so happened to stumble on this one which not only is good for you, but super yummy too!
Most healthy meals tend to be bland, but this one has so much flavor. It’s my boyfriend’s new favorite home cooked meal. It’s super easy to make as well.
Here’s the recipe. It serves about 4-6 people. Double the batch and make a whole lot more! Quick note, for this recipe you can either use brown rice or quinoa. I personally prefer the quinoa. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- orange chicken sauce (ingredients below)
- toppings: thinly-sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds, orange zest (all optional)
– For the orange chicken sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey (add more to sweeten, if desired)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- zest of one orange
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Quinoa ingredients (if you choose to use this)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
Directions for the orange chicken:
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute for about 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and nearly cooked through.
- Pour in the orange chicken sauce, and stir to combine. Let the sauce come to a boil, then boil for an additional minute or two until thickened. Remove from heat and serve immediately over quinoa or rice. Garnish with green onions, sesame seeds and additional orange zest.
Directions for the orange chicken sauce:
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined. If you would like the sauce to be even sweeter, add an extra 2-4 tablespoons of honey.
Directions for quinoa:
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer.
- Place in a medium sauce pan with chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down low and cover with a lid. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
That’s it! I know it seems like a lot, but it’s really not. All the prep and cooking will take about 30-40 minutes. The orange sauce thickens right away. Also, try pairing it with Sincera Chardonnay. It goes so well together!
So give this delicious skinny orange chicken a try and let us know what you think! I promise you won’t know you’re eating healthy.
recipe source: gimmesomeoven.com