This healthy recipe for Greek style chicken breasts was a huge hit at dinner the other day.
I found this awesome healthy recipe from the Cooking Light Weeknight Chicken Cookbook. I made this dish this past week, and it completely became my fiance’s new favorite dinner (I’ll post his used to be favorite, now second favorite, later this week). The recipe is simple, healthy and best of all amazing! Definitely worth making one of these nights.
The original recipe serves 4, but I cut it down to 2 for myself and my fiance. Here’s the recipe for healthy Greek style chicken breasts.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup onions sliced vertically (I used about half an onion)
- 1 Tbs minced garlic (I used about 3 cloves)
- About 14 chopped and pitted kalamata olives
- Half of a medium tomato, sliced and quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (you can always add more or less of this, just be careful with the calorie intake the more you put in)
- Heat your grill or a grill pan over medium high heat. (I actually baked mine in the oven at 450 degrees. Any of these ways work.) Spray with a little cooking spray or oil to keep it from sticking. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the grill or pan and cook about 6 minutes on each side or until done.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat while chicken is cooking. Add oil to the pan and swirl to coat it. Add the onion and garlic, and saute for about 4 minutes. Next add the olives and tomato. Let that cook about 3 minutes or until the tomato begins to break down, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat; stir in parsley, oregano, and lemon juice.
- Once this is all done, top your chicken with the tomato mixture, and sprinkle the feta evenly on top.
That’s all it takes! I paired mine with some asparagus. Pick whatever vegetable or side dish you want for yours.
A few more helpful tips on this dish. If you bake it like I did, bake for about 30 minutes or until done. I also baked mine in low sodium chicken broth to keep it from drying out. You can also use water.
Lastly, the serving size is one chicken breast, about 1/3 cup tomato mixture and 1 tablespoon feta. The calories per serving are about 311. Not bad for something so tasty. Enjoy!