I have 3 dogs who go through treats quite often. Sometimes the store bought treats can be full of carbs, which isn’t good for 2 of my 3 pudgy babies I have. My soon to be Mother-in-Law bought me this great book titled “The Ultimate Dog Treat Cookbook.” This book has so many great recipes and helpful tidbits to keep your dog and homemade dog treats healthy. Here’s one of my favorite and most simple recipes from this awesome book. This recipe is for Peanut Butter-Honey Nut Cheerio balls. They make about 50-60 bite size treats. Here it is!
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
- 2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Warm the peanut butter in the microwave for about 1 minute or until it’s soft enough to mix with the other ingredients.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the peanut butter, mixing gently but thoroughly.
- Form the dough into rounded teaspoon sized balls, squeezing each ball in your hand to press it all together. This will help reduce some crumbling during baking.
- Place them on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container.
That’s it! Simple as that, and your dogs will love them! Check out this book for more dog treats to make on your own.