Mums are such a great fall flower.
Fall is one of my favorite seasons with colors so rich and deep. It always brings a smile to my face. One of my favorite flowers is mums. Mums are almost goof-proof. I somewhat have a green thumb, but theses flowers are so very easy to maintain and grow. You can find them this time of the year everywhere. From your supermarket to your local nursery. Major box stores and hardware stores carry them as well. They truly are a breath of fall color anywhere you place them. I usually have them on my patio and one placed on my kitchen table.
Here are a few pointers that I can recommend on maintaining these wonderful flowers.
- Pick plants with tightly packed, bright green color. This is a good sign that the mums are healthy.
- Buds that are closed or just beginning to open means the blooms will last longer at home. All closed buds on mums look alike. Always check the tag on the plant to ensure you are getting the color and variety you want.
Here are easy steps for planting and maintaining your mums.
- Plant mums in full sun, at least 6 hours a day.
- Mums do best in well drained fertile soil.
- This is an important step. Never let “ NEWLY “ planted mums wilt. Water them often to keep them healthy.
- If you live in a warm climate like I do and want mums to survive through the winter, fertilize them every four to six weeks. I fertilize every 5 weeks. I love Miracle-Gro. I always have had luck with that product.
- Watch out for small insects that feed on the mums foliage. If you notice that the leaves are infected, pinch them off or treat the mums with an insecticidal soap. I use a ready to use insecticidal soap called Natria by Bayer. Most nursery’s carry the soap, however I purchase mine at Home Depot for $5.97. If you notice bugs on your mums or any plant for that matter, this product is easy to use and does the job. Spray a light mist on your plant or plants, and bugs will be dropping off left and right. I keep this product on hand throughout the year.
Mums come in many colors and varieties. These beautiful flowers are versatile and tough. My favorite mum flower which I like on my patio are the Pompon flower shape mum. Small globe shaped, with tightly packed petals. I usually go with the colors bronze, yellow and purple.
What ever style or color fits your fancy when purchasing mums, these beautiful plants will definitely be enjoyed wherever you place them, in pots or in the ground!