I just made this quinoa chicken and veggie skillet the other day.
It’s packed full of protein, and you can add whatever veggies you’d like to it. Here are the ingredients and instructions in case you want to try it yourself at home!
This quinoa chicken and veggie skillet recipe serves about 6 people, and the amount per serving is about 2 cups. Lastly, the calories are about 360 per serving. Not too bad right!?
- 1 large onion, minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large bell pepers, finely chopped (I used one red and one yellow as I find they have the most flavor)
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tap pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water or stock (I used chicken stock. You can also use vegetable stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered
- 1 medium yellow squash, quartered
- 5 sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 bunch of broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 10 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch of parsley, dill, or basil, finely chopped. (I used parsley)
- Preheat large deep skillet on medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Don’t let it burn! Add bell peppers and saute for 3 more minutes, stirring frequently. At this point your kitchen will smell amazing. Add chicken and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add quinoa, water, bay leaves and stir. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 12 minutes.
- Now it’s time to add vegetables. At this point quinoa should be cooked al dente. Add zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli and whatever other veggies your heart desires. Stir, cover with a lid and cook on medium-low heat for 15 more minutes. Add grape tomatoes and parsley, stir and remove from heat. Serve hot.
This quinoa chicken and veggie skillet is really easy to make. Honestly the longest part of this process was the prep. Give yourself some time to chop up all the veggies and chicken. To give it a little extra kick and flavor, I added some parmesan cheese. Last but not least, you can also make this a vegetarian dish. Just leave out the chicken and add vegetable stock or water, or even add tofu.
I hope you enjoy this quinoa chicken and veggie skillet as much as I did, and please let me know what you think after you have made it!