Vegetarian tacos may not sound too appetizing, but I guarantee they are! I’m always looking for healthy meals that are not only good for you but also taste good as well. I stumbled upon this recipe a long time ago but never bothered to try it. Now that my boyfriend and I are trying to eat much healthier during the week, I was happy when I stumbled on this recipe again while cleaning out my files. It’s very easy to make. The longest part is just waiting for the yummy vegetables to roast. Here’s the recipe for these delicious and healthy vegetarian portobello and zucchini tacos.
- 5 portobello mushrooms, stemmed and sliced a 1/2 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- coarse salt and finely ground pepper
- 4 zucchini, cut into 2 by 1/2 inch sticks
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 corn tortillas (4 1/2 inch size)
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes halved or quartered
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with 1 tsp of oregano, 1 tbsp olive oil, and the water; season with salt and pepper. On another baking sheet, toss the zucchini and onion with the remaining oregano and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Side note: a rimmed baking sheet means it has 4 short sides. Nothing flat so your liquid doesn’t spill everywhere.
- Roast all the veggies, tossing them occasionally until they are browned and fork tender (which took me about 25-30 minutes). Be careful as the zucchini may cook faster than the mushrooms.
- Using tongs, hold each tortilla over a gas flame, turning them until heated through. No gas flame? I put my tortillas in a saute pan and warmed them that way as well. Or the microwave or oven always works!
- Lastly, fill each tortilla with veggies including the tomatoes, and cheese.
Now you can enjoy! I serve mine with either black or pinto beans to get some protein. I also dress mine up with a little avocado, salsa or guacamole. Don’t like the veggies I used? The best part of this recipe is you can use any veggies your heart desires. It all works great together. Let us know what you think of this yummy, healthy, vegetarian portobello and zucchini tacos.